The original nucleus of the castle probably dates around the twelfth century, the period when the dynasty of the San Martino was establishing in Canavese area. The first transformation of the original fort was made in 1646 by the will of Count Filippo San Martino, according to a project that is traced to Amedeo di Castellamonte.
On the death of Filippo di Agliè the castle looked like a substantially symmetric structure in two courts, one indoor and one open to the town, the east facade was already characterized by the two towers overlooking the garden pavilion-ordered parterres.
In 1763 the castle was bought by the Savoia as the preserve of the second son of Carlo Emanuele III, Benedetto Maria Maurizio, Duke of Chablais: it was then taken on a new, grandiose project of redevelopment of the complex by architect Ignazio Birago Borgaro. The town itself was involved in an extensive renovation program, with the building of the parish, which is connected to the castle by a covered gallery on two floors, which still exists. Birago called to Agilè artists dear to the court in Turin: the brothers Filippo and Ignazio Collino fro their statuary fountains, the plasterer Joseph Bolina for the decorations of the great entrance hall. Also the gardens and park were arranged, solved in terms of strict green symmetry, with a pool of water along its longitudinal axis.
During the Napoleonic domination, the castle was transformed into a hospice, the park was divided into plots and sold to private people. In 1823 the castle got back its Regal possessions and two years later began the last part of the renovation of the apartments, ordered by King Carlo Felice. The castle was refurbished by the court artists, the sculptor Giacomo Spalla staged the Tuscolana room, where the finds are still located in the villa Rufinella at Frascati, owned by Carlo Felice and Queen Maria Cristina. In the second half of 19th century the Green Gallery was set up again and brought the park to its current consistency, leaving the green symmetries to the system of Romantic taste, which is still visible today. Sold to the State in 1939, the castle is supposed to be a museum of itself, leaving the structures and furnishings unchanged.
Director: Daniela Biancolini
Piazza Castello, 2 - 10011 Agliè (TO)
Tel. 0124 330102 - Fax 0124 330279
Info: 011 5220479